BBP Next is a mobile medical app that enables medical providers to save time and improve the quality of care relevant to the medical management of employees exposed to bloodborne pathogens (BBPs) or with blood/body fluid exposures (BBFEs). It does this by employing an interactive algorithmic approach to determine if a bona fide exposure has occurred, for determining the most up to date medical recommendations for post-exposure prophylactic (PEP) medications, for preventing the contraction of HIV, and for baseline and follow up testing for HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C. BBP Next also includes post-exposure treatment recommendations for the Exposed patient relevant to Hepatitis B vaccinations and Hepatitis B Immune Globulin (HBIG) as well as additional clinical information important to the treating medical provider.
BBP Next delivers the "Trifecta" benefit for enhanced patient care by offering:
- Improved quality and consistency of medical care.
- Enhanced medical provider efficiency and satisfaction.
- Significant reduction in medicolegal liability risk.
- Excessive time required to read through reference materials and published guidelines relevant to Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV.
- Increased likelihood and occurrence of errors or sub-optimal treatment of exposed patients.
- Potential medical liability for not treating the exposed patient in a manner that meets the current medical guidelines and recommendations.
- Provides the treating clinician with current, quickly accessible, and interactive medical information for optimal treatment recommendations.
- Saves valuable time for the medical provider in dealing with medical assessments that are historically overly burdensome and time consuming.
- Offers detailed treatment recommendations based on individual patient circumstances.
- Is consistent with current Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance when applicable and provides a quick-call link to the National Clinician Consultation Center PEP Line for expert consultation.
- Results in improved quality of medical care and improved medical consistency within a medical facility.
- Reduces medicolegal liability risk due to deviations from current treatment recommendations and standards of care.
- Updates to the app arrive automatically, each time the app is launched.
- BBP Next can be used without an internet connection, allowing it to be used in remote areas.
- Allows for the concise and efficient algorithmic process rather than the extensive review of reference materials and guidelines.
- Is very medical provider / user friendly resulting in improved clinician satisfaction.
BBP Next is the creation of a Board Certified Occupational Medicine physician and includes the recommendations and guidance of several other Occupational Medicine physicians.